A Travellerspoint blog

The longest day

overcast 6 °C

We left Bomaderry courtesy of Julia Rodgers taking us to the train at about 9am. Uneventful trip to Wolli Creek for changeover train to the international terminal. Interesting that it costs $11.50 for Mandy's fare to Sydney and $13.50 for one stop from Wolli Creek to the airport....I get free as a pensioner to Wolli and them $11.50. Figure that out.

Smooth transit through check in and customs. Arrived in the Qantas lounge for a late lunch, our traditional champagne and my flight settler (scotch and coke) before departure. We had a wonderful tasting plate overlooking the aircraft operations area, dessert and a fabulous Tasmanian white.

We didn't do any shopping pre departure and our gate was only a couple of minutes from the lounge. Left Oz 15 minutes late but picked that up during the flight. For some reason we missed out on the dinner and by the time the stewards realised the error we only had beef dick to eat. Another great Tassie Red managed to get the beef down and had a really good dessert.

Watched the last of the movie Lincoln which I started on the way to the Gold Coast last month and then 2 other movies. Both were a bit ordinary; I can't remember the names and it was only yesterday. We both managed a few naps but in all it would have been less than 4 hours. We experienced plenty of turbulence over the Pacific North East of Hawaii. All settled once we approached the coast of USA a few hours later.

Arrived into Dallas on time and passed through immigration, customs and finally the Texas State transit authority. We were finger printed by homeland security in the final entry point and away we went. It was like getting into the Reserve Bank without any money. The finger prints last forever and they get everyone. Unlike Italy where the welcome was our passports being tossed back to us.

We caught a shuttle into downtown Dallas. The trip into Dallas took about 40 minutes and with a tip cost us $50. Took lots of overpasses and freeways. Glad we're not driving. There is so much construction work happening that it is surprising given the general doom and gloom.

Have a nice suite in the Intercontinental and after a quick dinner in our room its off to bed. A few drinks in the lounge beforehand suited us nicely given how tired we are. Calculation thus far is that we've been awake for over 45 hours. A new record and good night.

Posted by mandt0413 03:51 Archived in USA

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint